Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

my dryer made this strange buzzing noise then stopped working,

my dryer made this strange buzzing noise then stopped working, now when I turn it on it make a buzzing noise but doesn't turn on, what could this be and how do I fix it?

maytag neptune electric dryer
MDE4000AYQ
does it buzz when you set it and hit the start button
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
this may take to people ,, open the door, push in on the door switch. hit the start button and turn the drum by hand and tell me if it starts
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it started without me doing anything to it. I just waited 15 minutes opened the door, closed it then it started? Is this an overheating thing, or a door thing? The drum sort of sqeaks
try it again ,, after it runs a couple minutes open the door, close it and hit the start again
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, I did. It started up, and tumbled but there was a tiny buzz when I hit the start button
the motor is going out ,, after it gets hot thats when it fails and will only buzz till it cools down ,, it will get to the point it wont start back up and when it does the only thing you can do then is replace the motor or the dryer ,, the part number for the motor is 33002478 and cost $15.67 ,,, hope this helps and if you dont run to many loads at a time it may last a little while yet / larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Where do I get the part? And I can't believe it's only $15.00 or is $150? Is it hard to install?
i'm sorry ,, finger slipped ,, its $153.67 and you you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer or online at www3.sears.com
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
One last question, is this part easy to replace? Thanks
not really but you can do it ,, you have to tear this dryer down to swap out the motor ,, open the door, remove the screws that goes though the hinges and the ones stright across, remove, snap from panel off from top edge, remove screws holding top down, revove front inside panel, unhook belt, set out drum and you can get access to the motor to swap out