Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

my neptune dryer just syoped working. there is power going

my neptune dryer just syoped working. there is power going to dryer but nothing will come on, like it's unpluged.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
First, I will need the first 2 digits from the SERIAL number to ensure that I look at the correct wiring diagram for your machine. Also, is your drum light working? If not, do you have 120VAC to the drum light socket? Also test for this voltage at the socket when pressing the door switch and see if it changes. Also check for 120VAC between each OUTER terminal on the power terminal block TO the center terinal, AND check for 240VAC between BOTH outer terminals. Let me know what you find.
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 10/14/2009 at 2:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NOT SURE ON LIGHT, NOT AT HOME AT THIS TIME.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Would you like to pick this up later when you are actually at the machine to make the tests needed to diagnose this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the light is burned out, standard appliance bulb, I had power at outer terminals, also power to hot leads. when i get home will try to get to door switch, that may be the problem, unless you can think of something different.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Well, at this point, it could be a number of things, although based on what you have said, I would be looking at the door switch and BOTH of the thermal fuses.There are TWO on this machine, one on the heater itself and one on the airbox. Unlike many other machines, the one on the heater itself is ALSO wired in series with the motor like the one on the airbox is, so either one of those can cause these symptoms as well. You can have power IN to the control board, but NO output TO the motor AFTER the fuses, which are also wired in series with each other before they connect to the motor. With open thermal fuses on this, you SHOULD hear a very faint click as the motor relay closes when you press start but no motor function. Without motor function, obviously you would also have no heater function. Now, with an always open(bad) door switch, you would have NO function of ANYTHING on the control board because that switch connects neutral to the rest of the machine when CLOSED, and connects netutral to L2 through the light bulb when CLOSED in the normally OPEN (light circuit) position. This could explain why the light circuit is ok and nothing else works, but this must be checked in the manner i specified earlier, by manually opening and closing the switch. A continuity (safer) check can also be perforemed on this switch with the power plug pulled and the white (common) wire removed from the switch, manually depressing the switch looking for continuity changes when dpressed.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.