Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician

We have a Ge Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model JVM1440 and

Customer Question

We have a Ge Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model JVM1440 and it just stop working today. There is no lights on and we unpluged it and pluged it back in again. We took the front of the mocrowave off but coud not find the fuse box Cn you help me.

Denny
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHERE IS THE TOP GRILL YOU ARE TELLING US TO REMOVE, IS IT IN BACK OF THE NUMBERS AND WHERE THE CLOCK IS? DO YOU HAVE A DIRAGRWM YOU CAN SEND ME?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It's number 70 on the link I sent you, there are 2 srews in the front of the grill, then there is 1 screw on top of the control panel. The control panel will then lift up and out. Just be sure to unplug the unit before you start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE LINK YOU SENT ME THE FIRST ANSWER YOU SENT SAID #47 AND NOW WE HAVE # XXXXX WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
I'll send it again. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440WH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I DID GET TO THE LINK AND I SAW THE FUSE, BUT WHERE DOES IT GO IN THE MICROWAVE. ARE THERE MORE THEN ONE FUSE AND HOW DO I KNOW THAT THIS IS THE PROBLEM?

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
If you open the front it is in plain sight, without a working fuse you can't test anything. They only cost about $3 for a 2 pack at WalMart or Home Depot. If it blows right away after replacement, then you have a more serious problem, but they do wear out. There is only one fuse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We did find the fuse and you were right taht there was only one. It was at the top behind a plate.

We went to Lowes and purchased the fuse and then put it in and the microwave oven came on. I set the time and it all looked good. Then i put it to the test with heating up some water in a cup, and the fuse blew again. Is there anything else we can try?

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
If the fuse blew, then you have a problem with your high voltage side. This consists of, a transformer, diode, capacitor and magnetron. You would need to remove the microwave to access these parts. This also requires diagnostic experience. The capacitor is 2100 volts and is dangerous if not discharged.
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 34 years experience as a repair technician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We also have GE Glass top Range and the burner on the left side which has two settings, one for the large pans and one for the small pans. One day it stopped working and we tried to look at the problem, but could not see how to fix it. I moved it out later to clean behind the stove and the outside burner started to work again. Can you help me with that? The modle # XXXXX XXXXX 8.3 kil
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
It's usually a switch problem. Your model number isn't coming up, could you check again?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I check the model # XXXXX it is JBP69 SELF-CLEANING RANGE
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.

Is there a switch controlling the large outer element? It may have been off or stuck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We worked the switch on and off several times and the little burner still does not come on. The large one works all right but would be better if they both worked.

Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
So the outer burner works, but not the inner burner?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes that is right, and I cannot figure that out.
Expert:  Dave replied 4 years ago.
You may have a bad burner, does it come on at all when only the small burner is selected?