Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a kenmore elite sensor smart gas dryer, model 110 72062101

Customer Question

I have a kenmore elite sensor smart gas dryer, model 110 72062101 and I want to know how to take the bottom front panel off so I can check the thermal fuse.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
Please look at this diagram:
graphic

Just take a putty knife and stick it where index # XXXXX is to press down on the spring clips holding the TOP of the BOTTOM panel on. Then rotate the bottom panel out and off the bottom clips , #19 . Now look at this diagram :

graphic

Remove the screws holding #45 on for easier access to the thermal fuse, # XXXXX Remove 1 wire and check for continuity on the fuse. Replace if there is no continuity and make sure to clean ALL lint and debris from #45 and your ENTIRE vent system from inside to outside your house. Please let me know if you need more info.
Thnaks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much! That's exactly what we needed to know. We did have some major lint build-up. We tried to call an appliance place and they wouldn't tell us how to take the front off but they would come out for $150! You saved us big time! Thanks!!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Glad to help!! I know you can get this dryer going again on your own and if you you have any further questions on this exact topic, please do not hesitate to ask! You will not be charged again for anything relating to this topic! Thanks for the kind words as well!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
Ok. SO you changed the fuse and you still have no heat. Did you check the fuse first or were you just going for a shot in the dark?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Based on other solutions on this site that we read here, it seems we had the same problems. So maybe it is something different?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I had to log off last night .
So, does the dryer just have no heat or does it not run either?
If it does not run at all, the most likely causes are a broken door switch or SOMETIMES a thermal fuse IF the fuse is wired into the heat circuit AND the motor circuit. On the Kenmore "110" models, which are all made by Whirlpool, SOME of them have that fuse wired into the motor AND heater and some JUST the heater , but on ALL of them, the thermal fuse is AT LEAST wired into the heater circuit . A failed push/pull switch contact or motor circuit contact in the timer can also keep the machine from running but is NOT as common on your machine. Now for a gas dryer that has no heat but still runs, if the thermal fuse was eliminatted as the cause then we need to go down to the burner circuit and check the valve solenoid coils, the ignitor itself, and the burner flame/radiant sensor. It will likely be one of those for a no heat condition since you already replace the fuse. I will help you check those when you get back to me about your specific situation. Let me know if in fact this is just a no heat situation and if you see the ignitor glowing and for how long it glows, and if you hear any "CLACK" sound when the burner is supposed to light. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for responding back. I really appreciate your time. The dryer does run. After allowing the dryer sit all night, when I turned it on today it fired up for about 3 minutes, the flame went out, then went back on for about 30 seconds, went out again, and then it would glow for about 5 seconds and then I hear the clack sound and it doesn't light. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
It sound alot like the valve solenoid coils are on their way out. Please try running the dryer WITHOUT the vent line connected to the back and run a full cycle to see if the same thing happens. If it does, replace the solenoid coils. If not, clean your vent system thoroughly from the flex line all the way to the outside of the house( this is a good idea REGARDLESS of your symptoms!) , because that would indicate the high limit thermostat is controlling the heat due to restricted airflow instead of the operating thermostat.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We ran out of time to finish this. Can we contact you over the weekend?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Sure! I will be around .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Eric,

We took the vent off and ran the dryer. It is still flaming up twice and then only the ignitor goes on.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
I would definitely reccomend replacing the gas valve solenoid coils. It Sounds like they are on the way out based on these symptoms.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you explain this process or should a professional do this part?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
This is just as easy as replacing the fuse you replced was. Look at the picture:
graphic

Just remove the two screws holding the coils on and replace them with part # XXXXX which is usually around $20.00 and available at EVERY decent part supplier. This should solve your problem. This is definitely a consumer level repair and does NOT involve opening any gas lines so it is very safe.Let me know if you need any help.
Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That worked!! Thank you so much for all of your help. It has been much appreciated! Have a great weekend!
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Glad it worked out for you! Its been my pleasure helping you!
You have a grest weekend also!
Thanks again,