Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

Hi, Have Whirlpool Thin Twin with top loading washer. It fills,

Have Whirlpool Thin Twin with top loading washer. It fills, it agitates, but does not empty or spin.
It is 20 years old. I have previously replaced the drain pump.
Can you help?
Betsy
If it wont drain or spin, but does everything else ok, based on your symptoms the lid switch is the most likely culprit. Check it by removing the TOP panel of the WASHER section and jumping the TWO wires on the lid switch connector that are NOT green (ground). If the machine will now drain/spin, replace the lide switch and youre set !
Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
switch has a clear plastic cover and white plastic housing; any tricks to get the wires out ? Thanks
Hello to you too!!
I would just jump the connection at the top panel of the washer section, NOT at the switch itself by removing the MIDDLE access cover between the washer and dryer sections where you will see a plastic molex connector with THREE connections in it (unmistakeable as there are really no similar connectors there) , but if you MUST jump at the switch, remove the two screws that hold the lid switch onto the top panel of the washer section and you can access the switch much easier that way. Also, a visual inspection of the switch can be made WITHOUT removing ANYTHING to see if maybe the actuator for the switch has broken etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Got it , Thanks.
No problem and thank you as well! Let me know if you need any further information!