Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi. I have a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator with the ice

Customer Question

Hi. I have a Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator with the ice bin in the freezer. The model number is XXXXX and Serial Number SPI333330.

The freezer is way too cold (even though the thermostat is on B and the refrigerator is set to 5).

I've cleaned both sides out and none of the vents are blocked. I think it may be a bad temperature control unit. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
let me check the model to see if theres any particular problems with these refrigerators, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Thanks.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
do you have a temperature gage in the freezer, ? if so what does it say,?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. There is no temperature gauge that I can see.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok , sorry i meant did you put one in to tell how cold it is? this is the cold control, Part 2299they do have problems with these, is the refrigerator running all the time, things are not freezing in the fresh food section right? let me know. Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Oh, gotcha.

No, I didn't put a reader on it. But it is damn cold. The ice cream is hard as a rock. But, in the fridge, the fresh food section is warm and the milk spoiled.
Is the cold control unit in that top box on the front roof of the referigerator?
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
yes it is , but I'm thinking its a different problem now, you say the milk spoiled that tell me the air flow is restricted to the fresh food section, do you hear the fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The fan is running and I re-organized the contents of the freezer and the fridge so that the vents aren't blocked.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok do you see any frost on the back panel in the freezer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is frost on the door, roof and light frost on the back panel.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok now we are getting somewhere, you need to check your gaskets and the ice shoot where you ice comes through the door, frost on the roof and doors tells me that you have moist air getting into the refrigerator somewhere, you need to check real good. also if you can remove the back panel inside the freezer check and see how much frost is on the coils, this is important, if they are really frost solid you have a defrost problem. let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK. There is some frost on the coils, particularly at the bottom. But there is no frost at all on the top part of the coils

I also checked the ice chute trap ddor. I t didn't look like it was closed all the way. So, I wiggled it a little and it seems like it is back in place although it isn't really a tight seal there.

Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thats a big thing, you need that door shutting tightly because if its not the refrigerator will draw in warm air and make the refrigerator run longer and harder to keep it cold, the other thing is the frost pattern, these coils should be evenly frosted across all the coils, this tells me you may have a freon leak, slow maybe but a leak, if theres not enough freon in the system it wont cool properly and the freezer will be colder and the fresh food section can warm up, my advice is to call for service and have a tech look at this because you cant do the freon yourself anmd this needs to be checked, in the meantime I would put a face cloth in the hole where the ice comes through and seal this until you can get it looked at, this will help with the cooling, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. This is very helpful. I'll put the cloth in now to make sure that's fixed. In the meantime, I'll schedule an appt. with a local tech for the freon.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks and well wishes, Bryan