Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a maytag dishwasher (under counter model# MBTT60AWW)

I have a maytag dishwasher (under counter model# XXXXX) that I purchased from Lowe's about a year ago. None of the control buttons work now. I've tried pressing the heated dry button for 3 seconds as well as start/cancel button twice and still no signs of life. The circuit breaker switch is ok and other items on the circuit are functional. What is my next step?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
are any of the lights on at all? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. NO lights at all
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok there could be allot of reasons for this. door switch , control board, even the connections where this is wired to the machine in the little box behind the front lower panel. I would start there, do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have a volt meter but not sure how to use it. However, I can follow your instructions.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well the first thing to check is the connections in the box I mentioned. shut the power of at the breaker and take the bottom panel off and then the little cover on the connection box you will see the wire nuts unscrew these and check for a good connection on them, , I have to step out for a bit but will be back in about an hour, we can pick this up then , thanks Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
I'm back if you want to continue, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Let's begin
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok have you taken the bottom panel off and check those connections yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. The connections are secure.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok next you need to check the door switches, you will need to take the inner door panel off for this. during these tests please have power off, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Give me a few minutes. I'll let you know when I'm ready.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Inner door cover is disconnected
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok do you see the door switches? you need to test these for continuity , you will need to push the little buttons in on the switches and test them. let me know if you have continuity to each switch
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where are the door switches? Are they located to the right of the door handle/switch in the black plastic encasement? What do I set my meter to in order to check continuity?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
they are part of the handle, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=you need to put your meter on ohms and check for continuity. the needle or readout should go up if its good,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My meter goes up to 30.8 then down to .1. Meter is pointing to 200k (OHM)
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok , when you have the probes on the switch and click it thats when it goes up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok the switches are good, this leads me to the control board being bad. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is expensive. $157.00 you can get it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-MDBTT60AWW-%3d%3dei1472413&PartID=1472413 if you like or a local appliance parts store, hope i've helped, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.