Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

My hunting club has a Tappan 36 , model tgf316gs propane stove/oven

My hunting club has a Tappan 36", model tgf316gs propane stove/oven in a duck blind. The stove we lite with a hand lighter. The oven requires an electrical source to power an ignitor. We don't have electricity. Can I override/bypass the oven ignitor so I can light the oven with a hand lighter? My gramndma's biscuits are dependent upon your answer!:) Thanks, Glenn
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The gas valve needs amperage passing through to trigger the bi-metal inside. It needs 3.2 to 3.6 amps from the ignitor to open.. To bypass this you would need to completely rebuild the gas system. If you had a 500 watt inverter on a heavy duty 12 volt battery, you may be able to pull it off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We tried the inverter/ battery idea and it worked, sort of. You ever lunged a HD battery across a swamp at 5:30 in the morning? It's an adventure. If I remember correctly, a bimetel is essentially the thermostat and gas valve in one device, so that is a critical element of the oven.
Are there other devices that I could replace the bimetal with that would allow gas flow without electricity? If not, I wonder if a solar panel could keep a HD battery charged in sub freezing temps for 2 months. Thanks for your ideas. Glenn
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
The bi-metal is inside the gas valve, so you can't really bypass it without completely changing the gas system
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
By gas system, do you mean just the gas valve or do you mean the piping, gas valve, burners, etc? If it is just the valve, is there one (maybe an old one) that would allow us to do what I'm asking about?

Maybe I should try a different tack. Do you know of any oven/stoves that do not require elecricity to operate. That would work for our situation? Glenn
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
If you get an old RV stlyle oven with a pilot and a flame sensor, that would work. To modify your current setup would be costly and potentially dangerous, the whole oven system is set up to use the ignitor and valve system.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK Dave. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dave replied 7 years ago.
Your Welcome.