Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Washing machine will fill up with water, but will not start

Customer Question

My Washing machine will fill up with water, but will not start the wash cycle? Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? Also, what brand is this unit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is a General Electric 2004 model. The number is XXXXX
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
if you turn the unit to spin, will it spin at all? Will it drain the water out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It does Spin, and drain the water out, if I turn it to the spin cycle. I have also tried using the different cycles to see if that works, but all with the same result. I have also tried to adjust the load settings (small, med, lrg, Super) and I have tried to adjust the water temperature. I even unplugged thinking that it is like a computer and maybe I just need to do a hard reboot :-)
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok so does it make any sounds at all when it's supposed to be agitating or is it silent?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It makes the agitating sound when it is draining and spinning. My 2 year old son just brought me a plastic necklace that he had been "storing" under the washer in the drain pain, and it is all wet. As far as I know, we haven't had any water in the drain pain since we bought the washer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
. . .

What about in agitation, after it fills with water. Is it silent or does it make noise like it's agitating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is slient, just keeps filling with water....
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
wait, what do you mean it keeps filling with water? does the water never reach the top? Does it just keep filling forever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It just keeps filling with water. For example, I was out of the house today from 10:30 to 3:30 and when I opened up the washer, the water was still filling the unit. So, it is not reaching the top.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok that means that your drain hose is either too low behind the washer, or the hose is stuffed too far down the drain pipe causing a siphon line. Pull the drain hose out so that it's only in the drain pipe about 6 inches or so. Then ziptie it so that it can't fall back down again. The hose must come at least to the top of the tub before going into the drain pipe or else the water will drain out as it's filling.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, so I just moved the hose from the drain pipe and I also pulled it out from the back of the washer a bit, just in case it was jammed in there too far. When I was pulling the hose out from the bottom of the washer, some water came out?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure why you are pulling the hose out of the bottom of the washer? Either way you may need to take the front panel off and look inside to see if you disconnected something.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I will have to do that. I am trying to wash another load. If this doesn't work, I guess I can try and take off the agitator and see if it sucked up a sock or something...
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
that won't be the problem. The agitator will not even try to move unless the water fills up where it needs to. If it doesn't reach the fill point it will never try to agitate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. I tried that too, and it didn't work
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
then where is the water going? you say it keeps filling forever so where is the water going?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I drain it, the water goes away.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
ok then you have a bad motor or a bad timer. Either your motor isn't getting power from your timer, or your timer isn't sending power. You will need to check power with a multimeter at your motor to see if you are getting power to any of the wires. If you are not then replace your timer, otherwise replace your motor.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate your time.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
no problem best of luck to you. I appologize it took so long to figure out but I was under the impression the water would never stop running and it would just keep filling until you switched it to drain mode. Just a misunderstanding.