How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bryan Your Own Question
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 12156
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Bryan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GE wall oven/microwave that is 15 years old. The

Resolved Question:

I have a GE wall oven/microwave that is 15 years old. The microwave buttons work and makes the fan sound but does not heat. Could it be a fuse or something more serious?

Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

Hi, this is Bryan, normaly when a microwave does this it turns out to be the magnetron which is one of the most expensive parts of the machine also repairing these needs to be done by a technichian, this is what the goverment warning says.

CPSC Home > Publications > Current

CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.




Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven


being 15 years old I would replace this, its more cost affective, thanks Bryan

Bryan and 3 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you

Related Appliance Questions