Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a GE wall oven/microwave that is 15 years old. The

I have a GE wall oven/microwave that is 15 years old. The microwave buttons work and makes the fan sound but does not heat. Could it be a fuse or something more serious?

Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

Hi, this is Bryan, normaly when a microwave does this it turns out to be the magnetron which is one of the most expensive parts of the machine also repairing these needs to be done by a technichian, this is what the goverment warning says.

CPSC Home > Publications > Current

CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microvave oven

being 15 years old I would replace this, its more cost affective, thanks Bryan