Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have an elderly Maytag Performa washer that has been great

I have an elderly Maytag Performa washer that has been great for many years. I moved it with a hand truck earlier this week so I could replace the laundry room linoleum. I replaced the rubber hoses with coiled metal ones before returning the machine to its place in the laundry room. This morning I ran a medium warm/cold load on the regular wash cycle. All was well until the rinse cycle. The drum filled with water, made a loud noise, and stopped. I turned off the machine, started it again in the rinse cycle, and heard a hum. I turned it off again and moved the dial to the spin cycle. It spun properly and the wash was done. I find it hard to believe that moving the machine caused this problem, but perhaps it did. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to diagnose and repair, if needed. Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok have you tried to fill it and run it since,? also a model # XXXXX help. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I haven't filled or run it since. The model number is XXXXX That first P might be a D...
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
the p was a p. ok these new hose you put on were they the stop leak type ? are they made to shut the water of if theres a leak? these are bad hoses and will shut down the water comming in at any time. try putting this on a small load no clothes and see if tghe water comes in. cold first then hot, try it both ways, and let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. The new hoses are the non-kink type. The washer filled up just fine and ran through the wash cycle and the first spin with no difficulty. It stopped after refilling for the rinse cycle. When I advanced the control manually, it ran through the spin perfectly.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok so we know the hoses are not the problem. can you try a small load again and tell me what it does, it sounds like there may be a problem with the fill valve and sometimes when these stop abruptly it sounds like a bang, and the buzz you heard could have been the valve trying to put water in, we need to see if the valve is working. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay. I can try this later tonight (I'm in CA - 3 hrs earlier than you are) because I have to go into a business meeting. How do I get back to you with the results?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok no problem. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can I contact you directly once I try the small load? If so, how do I reach you?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
we have to do this here on the site , i'm not allowed to contact customers I could get banned from the site, just leave me a message here and hopefully I'm still up, i have an early day tomorrow 5 am ,2 am your time, if I dont get it tonight I will early tomorrow and try to reply then. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Bryan,
Sorry for the delay. I ran a small load, warm/cold, just water, as you suggested. The wash and first spin cycle went fine. At the start of the rinse cycle, the drum filled with water. When it was time to agitate the rinse, and then I heard the "bang" that you described so accurately as it tried to move into the agitation. It banged a few times and then I heard the buzz. I tried advancing it manually further into the rinse cycle, but nothing happened. I moved it to spin and it is doing that now. Since the washer fills with water when it starts up and for the rinse, could it still be the valve as you suggested?
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'm not so sure at this point . you may have something in the pump thats getting caught sometimes, when I get back today(have to go to work) I'll look into this further, thanks, Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 10/9/2009 at 11:23 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your help. I'm going to call a local repair service since the weekend is coming up.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
ok , thanks , Bryan