Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Hi I just had installed a Whirlpool built-in Electric Oven.

I just had installed a Whirlpool built-in Electric Oven. It was purchased in 2001, but was never used. I picked it up at a Habitat For Humanity Restore store. Problem I am having is the oven will not shut off. I made brownies and now it is still running. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

is the element red hot or is it just warm? if its red hot you probably have a bad relay on the erc(electronic range control) these are expensive and i'm not sure if they are still available, Sears shows 1 but its $273.00, I think you need to either return this or take a loss on it. sorry, i dont like to give bad news, thanks Bryan

Part 589286

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The element is not red hot. The only other information I have about the oven is that the door lock does not work. Could that possibly have something to do with the oven not shutting off?

if its not red hot then it could possibly be that the element is grounded somewhere or the wires in the back that connect to it ,one is grounding out, if it isnt its going to be the erc. thanks Bryan