MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
13971964

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash III dishwasher. It wont drain

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore Ultra Wash III dishwasher. It won't drain ( about 3 inches of water left in it) and if I press the drain/cancel button the pump starts and runs for about 10 seconds then turns off pauses for about 30 seconds then repeats this cycle for 2 minutes. I can hear water being pumped out. If I run a rinse cycle the cycle starts but water never fills the tub. I suspect the timer....any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
This problem will require some disassembly and voltage checks. Are you capable and have he tools? This will not be fixed by just pushing some buttons.

Edited by MRANSWER on 10/7/2009 at 9:51 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, no problem...let me know what to do...
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
Need the model#, take off toe plate and get your meter.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the model is either 15849 or 16849. I couldn't find a model number tag on the machine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hmmm...this sight is a bit confusing...thought I was replying to you and endid up paying you! anyhow...let me know what voltage measurements to make
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
Without a model I will need to confirm who made this - Sears makes nothing. When looking underneath, does the drain hose attach at the front of the dishwasher pump assembly? Hose on a Whirlpool built unit usually has an orange colored elbow on it. There would also be a small drain pump just to the right of this drain hose connection. Is that your set-up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the drain hose comes off the front right side of the motor assembly. white elbow. no drain pump
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
I really need the model#. Prefix on it is three numbers and that indicates who made it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the model number located? do i have to remove the DW from under the counter to see it?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
Does not need to be removed. Label on door or door opening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
looking closely at the motor and running the drain cycle, it appears there is a leak between the tub and motor. when the motor starts a fine mist of water sprays out of the motor. there is white powder all over the top of the motor...dried soap or water minerals
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
That indicates a seal leak. Possible water has entered motor windings as well as bearings. That could well account for the brief running then stopping. You may need to replace that entire assembly; doubt it is worth it if unit has more than 7 or so years on it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bought it in 95...was thinking the same thing
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
time to go a shopping then. Usually can find great deals at lowes or home depot on clearance or returned items.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
in your opinion what is the best brand to buy?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
Whirlpool is all I would buy.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok well thanks for your help....see ya...
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
Thanks