Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

I have a Kenmore Elite Quite Pak 4 front-load washer - the

I have a Kenmore Elite Quite Pak 4 front-load washer - the door lock won't engage. If I hold the button down, it clicks three times, like it's trying to lock, but then shows a "DL" error code. Please help.
Hi ! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!

First check around the area just above the door lock in the front panel. There should be a small button that you can push in and out. These break frequently and if it is broken, you will need to replace the door lock assembly. Also, check the door at the moment you actually hear the clicks. If it IS actually locked, but still continues to click, then either the door switch inside the assembly that tells the main controller that the door is actually locked has failed and you will need new door lock assembly OR you have a loose connection on the controller (check this before repalcing the controller as it is also common) , accesible by removing the TOP panel , or the controller detection circuit for the door lock has failed requiring replacement of the controller.Please let me know if you need further information!

Edited by Eric on 10/7/2009 at 4:09 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help! The small button does not appear to be broken, and the door is not locked when it clicks. That means the door lock needs replaced??? Should I call a repairman, or can my hubby do it?
Yes, it sounds like the door lock has in fact failed at the check switch inside and this IS a pretty easy repair for hubby if he has basic mechanical skills (remember to unplug the machine before working on it!!) . You will need to remove the spring clamp that holds the FRONT part of the door gasket on to the front bulkhead to easily acess the door lock assembly. THREE screws hold this on to the front panel. Remove those, unplug the connectors and replace the assembly. if you give me your model number from the id tag on the front door frame, that begins with a "110" I can give you the part number (please enter this in the form of 110.12345678 WITH the decimal). Have him FIRST check all the connections on the main controller though, that is EASY as well . Just remove the three screws that hold the TOP panel on in the rear and slide the panel REARWARD then off the machine. The controller is the large white rectangular box clipped to the frame with a bunch of wire connectors coming out of it and NO hoses. remove ALL connections and reconnect them tightly and try again before ordering the part.

Edited by Eric on 10/7/2009 at 4:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awesome - my hubby is fairly handy, so I'll have him give it a try. The model number is XXXXX Thanks.
Your part number for the door lock assembly is(NNN) NNN-NNNN and it is available at ANY part supplier, but the Sears price is $49.99.One more thing, please check that the door catch on the door itself is NOT broken because even though on this machine the door catch breaking is VERY rare, it is worth a quick check.The door catch part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand is only $5.12 from Sears if its broken.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Awesome! Thanks so much for your help!