Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

Light bulb in Kenmore series 80 went out when opening the door

Light bulb in Kenmore series 80 went out when opening the door one day. Now the I cant get the dryer to even start. What should I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with this problem!
Sounds like a problem with your door switch. Have you tried replacing the bulb so that we can verify that the door switch functioning? Also, Please give me the complete model number of the machine. It is located on the ID tag visible when you open the door on the front bulkhead and begins with a "110" Please enter this as(NNN) NNN-NNNNWITH the decimal otherwise the filters will consider it a phone number and block it.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know the light bulb burned out in the back like a flash and it was done. Could that of shorted something in the dryer.(NNN) NNN-NNNN is the model number. I removed the bulb from the back but have not replaced it yet.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Well in order to find out what happened, we will need to do some testing. Do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I don't own one. I can get my hands on one, what should I be looking for?

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
First thing to check is the incoming voltage. Remove the small cover where the power cord goes into the machine and check EACH OUTSIDE terminal to the CENTER terminal. You should get 120VAC between those, then check between the TWO outside terminals. you should get 240VAC. If thats ok, then remove the front panel by removing the two lint screen screws, then put a putty knife between the TOP and FRONT panels , near the outside corners and push on the clips there to allow you to rotate the TOP panel up and rearward, then remove the wire on the RIGHT side of the switch (the single terminal which is the common) check the door switch for continuity between the SINGLE terminal on one side to one of the two terminals on the other side, push the door switch and check the meter for a change, then do the same between the SINGLE terminal and the OTHER terminal on the side with two terminals, looking for a change in continuity. My guess is that if your voltage at the main power was ok, when you check between one set of these terminals, you will see NO change in continuity and will need a new door switch, part #3406107 and $16.12 Sears price. If not, please let me know and we WILL move on to other possibilities.