Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

My Maytag dryer isnt drying the clothes. I took the small

My Maytag dryer isn't drying the clothes. I took the small panel on the front of the dryer that lets me see the ignitor. It gets hot and then shuts off affer a few seconds. Is there some valve that's not opening?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
First, please give me the complete model number from the ID tag on the machine itself.
Are you hearing any "CLACK" noises in the area of the burner valve?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model is DG808. Just tried the dryer and the ignitor came on and the gas turned on and I have flame. Seems to be working.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
WOW! Im pretty good huh?! Cool
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I'm back to having the same problem. Close door, ignitor glows, no flame. After a few seconds ignitor shuts down. I did try opening and closing the door and pushing button a couple of times and once when it did ignite the flame it ran for a few minutes and then the gas shut off.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Does it seem like the intermittent nature of this problem is associated with heat? In other words, had the dryer been sitting cold for awhile when you started it last time andit worked?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the dryer hadn't been used all day. I have noticed that for the last few times our clothes were coming out slightly damp.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!
This is most likely a failure of one of the three gas valve solenoid coils. Your machine has the OLD style burner with the OLD style coils and they should be replaced as a set of all three. The part # XXXXX XXXXX and it is $61.21 from Sears, but you can order them from ANY part supplier you wish. They are easy to install. All you have to do is remove the front panel with the two screws at the bottom of the panel and you will see the burner. Unscrew the screws holding the coils down on the burner, disconnect them, pop the new ones in and youre good to go! What is happening is that when these coils get warm, one or more of them is going open circuit which causes the gas valve to close prematurely and kill the flame. Then they cant open the valve again until they cool off. Eventually they will NEVER be able to open the valve and you will NEVER get a flame.Please let me know if you need further information.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK, I took the front off. It looks to me like there are two coils, anyhow I have been letting the dryer do it's thing and it seems that the solinoids click and the ignitor glows and then the gas comes on and the gas ignites, but after 4 seconds it shuts off. If I wait it will cycle throught again and again. Still think it's the valve?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.
I never thought it was the valve, rather the valve SOLENOID COILS, and YES, I still think thats what your problem is, for the reasons (heat and age) stated previously. Valve failure is rare but CAN happen with a machine this age, but I really dont think that will be your problem. Flame sensor can cause this problem too but the coils are a better bet. The problem with an intermittent symptom is that you have to catch it failing to be 100 percent sure. You DO have three coils and on this old style gas valve, two of them are stacked on top of each other . On the NEWER style valve, the coils have two built together and one single for a total of two coil packs.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.