Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

I have a Maytag model mer6875aab ceramic top stove which I

Customer Question

I have a Maytag model mer6875aab ceramic top stove which I just replaced one of the burner elements. The new element comes on but does not turn itself off when coming up to temperature. Is the replacement element bad out of the box or is there a seperate thermostat element that needs to be replaced as well?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
The infinite switches control the duty cycle (time that the elements stay on relative to the time they turn off during use). On this model, the highest setting has a 100 percent duty cycle which means that it will NOT turn off at all, unless it gets TOO hot, in which case the high-limit protection on the element itself will open.If you are saying that you have a 100 ppercent duty cycle on ALL settings, then the infinite switch is the cause and should be replaced. The part # XXXXX XXXXX and its $37.63 from Sears.
Please let me know if you need further information.

Edited by Eric on 10/6/2009 at 3:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does the infinite switch control all of the burner elements or is there one for each element? Only the replacemnt element has a 100% duty cycle on all settings. The other four elements all operate normally.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Please tell me which burner you are having the problems with and I will verify the part number. i jumped the gun and assumed it was the left/rear or the right/front and that is the part number I gave you. To answer your question, yes there is one infinite switch for each burner.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is the front left, dual element burner.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
The part number is XXXXX and it's $44.94 from Sears, but my database shows that the left/front is a SINGLE coil burner. Are you sure that its the left/front and that its a dual?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, both front burners on this model are dual burners
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Thanks!Just a typo in the database, sorry about that! Yes, the switch part # XXXXX the left/front IS a 7403P238-60. Replace that and the element will work correctly. Out of curiosity, what was the reason for replacing the element in the first place? Was it the duty cycle or was it burned out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

This actually the fourth time that the element has been replaced because it burned out. In three of the four previous outages it caused the glass top to crack. I have had certified repair folks look at it on multiple occaissions and they all claim not to be able to find any reason why this one element consistently goes out. Lifespan of the replacement elements have ranged from 90 days to a year. Worst appliance I have ever purchased.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
No problem! Just a note, you MAY find that the reason for the decreased lifespan has ALWAYS been a problem with the infinite switch, because it may have been running an increased duty cycle but not as obvious as it is now. That is definitely what it sounds like!
Good luck with the repair!