Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE Profile convention range. The oven on convention

I have a GE Profile convention range. The oven on convention works great but when I try to use just the regular oven it lites once comes up to temp but will not relight unless I turn it off and start it again.

Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
can you get me the full model # XXXXX Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model No. JGB910BEC1BB
Serial No. LZ210628P

thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok, this could be one of two problems, 1 a weak igniter. Part 1990 which doesnt sound like the problem because you said the convection works great so if it relights in convection I doubt its the igniter, 2 you have a bad erc (electronic range control) clock . Part 911094which is more likely because it has seperate relays on the board for convection and bake, Part 911094thsi would have to be installed by a tech because the wiring is diffirent (even that sounds bad) why would they need to change it if it worked correctly? this is what it says. Electronic range control
*Wiring could differ from original, will possibly need to be installed by an appliance repairperson. Unfortunatly you may have to call a service tech anyway you might as well have him make sure what it is. do you see the igniter trying to light the oven after its up to temp. in bake? does it glow? let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the ignitor glows but the gas valve does not open. If I turn the oven off and reset the temperature and start the oven again it will lite and come up to temperature and then my or my not cycle again.

thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok I would say its the igniter. sorry for the late reply my internet was down, you can order this here if you like click this blue link, http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-JGB910BEC1BB+-%3d%3di1990&PartID=1990 this should take care of it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the ignitor is weak and there is only one ignitor how come I have had no issues with convection bake or convection roast. This only happens intermittantly in regular bake.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you have never had this happen in convection bake at all,? the thing is if the igniter glows it should open the valve, if it was the valve it wouldnt open for the convection either, unless the igniter goes off when its trying to run in bake thats all I can think of, when its up to temp. you say when it cools a bit the igniter comes back on but wont relight correct? this is a tough one , if the igniter does come back on when its in bake and the temp. goes down and the igniter comes back on but doesnt light again unless the igniter goes off at that point then I still think its the igniter, but if it stops glowing when it trys to relight then you may have a bad relay on the erc. (clock) it uses different relays for convection and bake. this oven also has two igniters one for bake and one for broil, but that shouldnt affect the bake. rather than make an error in diagnoses you may want to call for service and let the tech make a mistake and replace the wrong part, instead of you getting a part you cant return.thats all i have, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In the regular oven mode the igniter comes on, the oven lites comes up to temperature. When the temperature reachs set point the burner goes out, when the drops the igniter comes back on stays on but, the burner does not lite. If I do not do anything the igniter continues to glow and never goes out and oven never lites. If I turn the oven off and reset the temperature start the oven it will relite come back up to the set temperature go out and it will not relite unless I restart the cycle again. No problem in any other mode.
Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
ok its one of two problems then, the igniter is weak, or your safety valve is bad. if it comes on and stays on but doesn't light 95% of the time its the igniter. for some reason the igniter isn't opening the valve, it draws a certain amount of amps and opens the valve , we rarely have to replace a safety valve. does the igniter look as bright as when it first comes on to light? let me knwo ,thanks Bryan