Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

the water does not shut off and runs over

Hello anrefr! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
None of the information about the appliance in question has come through, so please give me the make and model of the appliance and we can get started!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

hi eric we are checking

if i put the thing on x small water level it just keeps on fillin up amd runs over.t

crosley heavy duty giant capacity plus quite series 3 speed combo 10 cycles

Thanks alot! Im sorry, but i have to assume we are talking about a washing machine, correct? The model number will be on a tag just under the lid on the top frame , near the rear of the opening for the lid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

crosley washer i hope this helps eev99413

I'm afraid that is not the model number as the Crosley model line SHOULD start with "CW" but thats ok, we are close enough. If this happens ONLY when there is actually power to the machine, BUT the water STOPS filling when you turn it off or remove the plug, then we have a problem with either the pressure switch or the pressure switch hose. The pressure switch hose has probably fallen off the switch under the console or developed a pinhole. It connects to the bottom/side of the tub, and you can see it by removing the front panel. With a putty knife, push in on the spring clips located about 4-6 inches from each side of the gap between the TOP and FRONT panels, then rotate the front panel out from the top and off the bottom clips. Get a light and check the plastic tub bottom area for a cup shaped protrusion with a hose coming out of it. This is the pressure switch hose. You MAY not be able to see it CLEARLY from the front, so removing the two screws that hold the TOP panel down to the cabinet in the FRONT will allow you to rotate the top panel out of your way for better access. you will need to trace the pressure switch hose from the tub all the way to the pressure switch which is located under the console and looks like this :

If the hose is ok and connected, it is the pressure switch itself causing the problem.

Now, if the machine fills with water EVEN when the power is OFF and / or unplugged, THIS device IS the problem :

This is located where your hoses connect to the machine. If the washer fills with power off, it can ONLY be this device. Its called a water fill valve and is part #21001932 which runs about 30 dollars at Sears. Please let me know if you need ANY further information about this. This assumes a washer model number of "CW6500W" and if you find you model number and detect the problem, I will be happy to verify that part number or any other part number for you.

Edited by Eric on 10/5/2009 at 7:52 PM EST