Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

My Maytag dryer model #DE712 leaves black marks and tears up

Customer Question

My Maytag dryer model #DE712 leaves black marks and tears up my clothes.
What's wrong with it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello stacinono! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help!
First, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that its the dryer leaving the marks, not the washer? If you are then the most likely cause is worn or missing drum seals. take a look at the diagram. They are #4 on both the front and rear of the drum. You can actually see this when you look inside the drum and see how the drum rides on these felt seals, looking for gaps and maybe running a white rag through the gaps in the seals where they meet the drum to see if thats the kind of marking that you are seeing. If it is, you will need to replace those seals. Its not horibbly difficult, but you will need to have some patience and a decent mechnical aptitude because you will basicaly be taking the machine apart to remove the front bulkhead, remove the drum replace the seals, then put it all back together. the parts are part #33313541 and they are $30 and if they are both worn, you will need 2 of them. Also check inside the drum and make sure that all of the drum baffles (fins) are tight and are not missising or broken, because that could cause this as well.
Please let me know if you need any further information on this!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX will have my husband look at it when he gets home.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any more questions on this issue!
Thanks Alot!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My husband just removed the front bulkhead and discovered that the roller wheel had come off. Can I get a part number to replace it?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Good morningCustomer
This dryer should have rollers on the REAR bulkhead and GLIDES on the front bulhead. The rear roller part # XXXXX and that comes with the roller itself and the fiber washers for each side. If the roller fell off though, that probably means you are also going to need numbers 410233 retaining ring, Y312948 roller shaft itself and 312535 spring washer if missing or damaged. Check that shaft carefully to make sure it isnt worn , causing the roller to fall off. The front glides which are riveted into the front bulkhead SHOULD be ok, but check them for excessive wear and check those seals like we talked about yesterday.