Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

How hard is it to replace a heating element on a Kenmore Electric

How hard is it to replace a heating element on a Kenmore Electric Dryer-
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you with this today!
Please re-enter your model number in this format(NNN) NNN-NNNNWITH the decimal because the JA filters think your model # XXXXX XXXXX phone number so it comes through as XXXXXXXXXX. Then I will get right to work in helping you with this problem!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
110.63012101. I do have the manual and Kenmore makes you special order. How easy is it to find the hearting element and finding a replacement part and install. thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
Well, you are in luck for several reasons! First, If you are SURE the element needs replacing, you couldnt have picked an easier dryer to do that yourself, as well as most repairs on this dryer . Very user friendly. Your element part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it does NOT have to be special ordered because in case you did not know, your Kenmore is actually made by Whirlpool. Sears, Kenmore, Craftsman, etc do NOT make ANY products. They are ALL made by someone else. That element is a very common part that any decent supplier will have in stock and costs between $30-55 depending on the supplier. Check your local appliance part dealer or online for that part number. Now, to replace it, look at the diagram -- graphic

To gain access, simply remove the lower, front cover by using a putty knife to separate the two spring clips that hold it on between the lower panel and the front bulkhead.
Now, look to the right, and you will see the #14 element housed in #46. Disconnect all of the wires on #46, remembering where they go or marking them, then remove the #2 screw. Lift up on this whole assembly from the front and pull it out. there is 1 screw holding the element in place on the left side. Remove it and pull the element out of the #46 housing. Push te new one in, install the side screw, Install the #46 housing back in the machine by tilting up slightly to allow the rear tab of #46 to go in to the rear bulkhead first, then lower #46 down and screw it back in. Put the wires back on and thats it!!
Please let me know if you need ANY further info!