Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a whirlpool dishwasher, model GU1500 XTK. The light

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool dishwasher, model GU1500 XTK. The light above "rinse only" is blinking. When I press "cancel", I see two dashes, but the dishwasher does nothing. When I press any other buttons, there is no effect. The dishwasher will not operate - how do I fix this?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
let me do a little research on this, usually it the control board but let me check further. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, from what I see on the web - the consensus is the control board. Although, it is intermittant. It happened about 6 month ago, then started working again. It stopped working last week, then started again, And yesterday, it started malfunctioning again.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

Door switch not making

¦ Faulty door latch

¦ Faulty door switch.

Measure resistance of door switch contacts

while checking mechanical operation of

latch assembly. Confirm switches not loose

from assembly

Loose connections

between door switches

and pin 8 on control.

Check resistance of all harness connections

between door switches and pin 8 of the

Control not receiving

Start key (or cycle key,

if model has no Start

yes, then check keypad. If keypad okay, this is what the service manual says about this. I'm going to do more reading on this, do you think you can do any of the tests it says here? do you have a volt meter and know how to use it? let me know thanks Bryan

Edited by a1speedyappliance on 10/4/2009 at 11:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a voltmeter/ohmmeter - it'll take me a while to check these - the dishwasher is a built-in. I won't be able to respond right away. So if all the resistance is OK, what would I check next, or what is likely the most logical problem, control board? I did suspect a switch connection because of the intermittant operation.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.
I'll tell you what, I'm sending you a link to all the technical data on whirlpool dishwashers if checking the switch doesnt work (which I believe it will) heres the tech sheets on all whirlpool dish washers. just click the blue link , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for the link and info - I check the switch, hopefully that is the problem. The control board is a little more expensive that switch.
Expert:  Bryan replied 7 years ago.

ok, your right its more expensive, I hope you figure this out and not get the wrong part, I believe its going to be in the switch also, thanks,Bryan