Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag PYE2300AYW starts and heats up fine, then cuts out after

Customer Question

Maytag PYE2300AYW starts and heats up fine, then cuts out after about 5 minutes. It won't restart for another couple of minutes, seems like it has to cool down. I observed the heating element (new# XXXXX it cycles normally. This is still happening even after I did all of the following things #all NEW parts): 1. I changed out the high limit switch; 2. I changed out the heating element; 3. I changed out the thermal fuses; 4. I changed the thermostat; 5. I changed the motor; 6. I cleaned the heck out everything, including the vents. There were no obvious failures in any of the parts that I replaced. I'm out of ideas, can I get some help please?

Optional Information:
Make: Maytag
Model: PYE2300AYW

Already Tried:
See original question.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
wow you replaced almost everything in this. let me check my databases and see what I can come up with , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate that. Somebody insisted that it's still a bad motor, I'm having a hard time accepting that.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
if you changed the motor I doubt its that, did it run at all after you changed the motor, this was a new motor correct?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
one thing I need to know is the thermal fuse you changed on the side of the heater assembly you got the kit when you changed these which little thermostat did you use, Part 3344the one with the pink dot or yellow dot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't see any color dot on the fuse, and the high limit is white, with the number 0519 L248-80F
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
according to the model # XXXXX shows the set of thermostats I sent you in your machine. was the thermal fuse on the side of the heater behind the drum assembly? # XXXXX on this diagram,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok where did you get this kit.? the one on the side of the heater should have had a pink dot on it. was this after market or original ? if you used the wrong thermostat on the side of the heater this would run for about five minutes and shut down until the thermostat reset and then start again, this is because this thermostat is a cycling thermostat and goes on and off according to the heater, do you still have the package the thermostats came in or the # XXXXX the package?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got it at an appliance parts warehouse, he kit corss-referenced my dryer model. Would the wrong thermal fuse cause the motor to cut out? I just thought it would only affect the heater. The original one had a pink dot. I still have it, should I reinstall it? Maybe this is a freak combo of a bad motor to start with, and the wrong thermal fuse going in? Wow.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
yes it would cause the motor to cut out because its in a place where there should be a thermal fuse and the thermal fuse cuts out the whole machine if it overheats, so if you have the wrong thermostat in that spot it will shut down the motor also and then when it resets it will start again , the one way to test this is to take the two wires off and tape them together and see if it keeps running, ( this is only a test, do not leave this like that you could have a fire) just test it and see if it keeps going. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your time and thoroughness....I will give it a shot.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know, thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jumped out the fuse, dryer works perfectly. So, you are right about the problem. I ordered the correct fuse online. Thank you again for being so thorough.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome, I'm glad to help. glad to see you got it going, sorry about the advice the other tech gave you, if i were you I would ask for a refund of any moneys paid to him, thanks and well wishes, Bryan