Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  34 years experience as a repair technician
20703114

Whirlpool Cabrio - wont spin, just makes a humming noise

Customer Question

Whirlpool Cabrio - won't spin, just makes a humming noise
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Does the tub move freely? What is the model number?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the tub moves freely wtw6600
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
There are several digits missing from your model number. After changing the drain pump, does the washer drain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
6600swd 5.0 cabrio the washer will drain, but will not spin now.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.

Are you getting any error messsages?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

LD error message, had a plumber out line is clear and had a technicXXXXX XXXXXe out the drain pump it ran fine through a test cycle, technician left I started a load of wash on a 44 min cycle it quit at 20 min and just ld flashed and buzzed. The technician came back out tested all the codes and was dumbfounded. So stuck with non working washer that spins a little bit.

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.

There must be something stuck in the drain line or the inlet to the drain pump. Are you using he detergent?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes, using he detergent and the drain line is clear. Just had a plumber snake the drain line and the technicXXXXX XXXXXed out the pump and saw no obstructions

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
How long does it take for the washer to drain?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

stops in the middle of the cycle and I set it to spin and drain which is 10 min and this worked for a while but now it stop during this cycle also so now I just have wet clothes

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
If you run the cycle multiple times does it finally work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Does it always give an ld code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Have you flushed the drain lines? Check to see if the water level line is unblocked, it goes from the tub to the machine control and senses water level.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
What hums, the motor or the drain pump?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think it is the motor ,but I am not sure like I said the tech replaced the drain pump. Also this problem was gradual it didnt happen all at once but over the last week has become more common to where the machine just no longer works.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure the main tub spins freely?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can move it by hand, and it will spin 2-3 times before it quits during a cycle.
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
You may have a bad RPS a rotational position sensor, although that usually generates a different error code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

what is that , and how much should it cost to repair?

Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
It comes as part of the control it is not cheap, but not as much as a new machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how much would it cost
Expert:  Dave replied 5 years ago.
What is your model number?