built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

I would like to extend the drain line from our clothes washer

I would like to extend the drain line from our clothes washer up to the ceiling sewer drain in the basem't. It is now draining in a utility sink. Can the washer handle pumping water up another 3' or so? I'm installing a 2" pvc drain line with a gooseneck for sewer gas trap just beyond a proposed "Y" where I'd like to attach the washer drain line. What do you think ? Thanks much, Craig
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
Because your proposed drain connection is at the ceiling the vertical part the washer drain hooks on will be very short and since it is suposed to remain open to the atmosphere, is a place for leakage. If you can no longer use the sink then consider using an ejector/sump pump. I have done this many times in similar situations and it works well. They cost less than $100.