Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair

Kenmore Tumble Action Washer (417.41042000) Door latch will

Customer Question

Kenmore Tumble Action Washer (417.41042000) Door latch will not engage. Any ideas? Washer worked just fine on previous load. Machine is 8-9 years old and probably would be replaced if it is likely to be a major problem. Drum was replaced just after warranty ran out several years ago. Service call begins at $75 where I live.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 7 years ago.
Hi...Are you hearing a clicking noise at latch...?(is lock activating just not locking...?)..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No clicking noise. Normally when I shut the door it latches and I turn the dial to the wash program. Now it will not latch and door pops open. I have unloaded the sheets that were in the tub but still no progress.

Try replacing the strike #14 on the door ....If it doesn't set properly in the latch it wont activate the lock...If that does not work then you will have to replace the door lock...Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
FYI. After inspecting the washer again I discovered the rubber seal around the door had come slightly loose and was preventing door from latching. Duh. Reseated rubber seal and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks for advice.
Exellent...Great job...You didnt even have to order parts...!!! Thanks Bob