built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

Im trying to fix the two burned out light bulbs on my Thermador

I'm trying to fix the two burned out light bulbs on my Thermador range hood. It says it takes 12 volt/20 watt bulbs so I picked one up that's made by Philips and says it's for desks and cabinets. It didn't work. The replacement bulb looks very similar to the ones that were in the range hood but is just ever so slightly longer. Do you think I have a bigger problem than just burned out bulbs? Not sure if this matters or not, but the vent fan is working, it's just the lights that aren't.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Did you take the old bulb with you to buy new? You may have the wrong bulb. You should also test for power at the light bulb socket.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did take the bulb with me to a Lowes and it looked exactly like the one I'm trying to replace but when I got it home, like I mentioned, it is just ever so slightly longer at the bulb tip (though the two prongs are in fact the same length). I have not tested for power at the light bulb socket and am not certain if "circuit alert" tool I have will work on it? The tip of the circuit alert tool looks to only fit a regular socket. I can borrow a tool though - so let's say worst case scenario and there is no power to it? What would you recommend? A service call? I'm not a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to electricty!
I would use a tool called a volt/ohm meter to test for power at the light socket. But it is important to respect electricity so if you're not confident with it then by all means contact a local tech.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell me my options if 1) there is power and 2) there isn't? I'm guessing that if there is not power, I'm going to have to call a local tech, but do you have other ideas if there is power? Thanks!

If there is power then you have either the wrong bulb or the new bulb is bad. If no power then you will have to troubleshoot the light circuit to find the fault.