Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service

I cant figure out if my kenmore stove has a pilot light or

Customer Question

I can't figure out if my kenmore stove has a pilot light or a ignition switch. The bottom part of the stove won't heat up?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 4 years ago.
The model number on Kenmore or Sears products consist of 10 digits usually, the first 3 digits tell us who made it for them and the remainder is the model number, please send the model number in the following format: (NNN) NNN-NNNN this will allow Just Answer to display the number and not think it is a phone number and X it out like this XXXXXXXXXX,

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
790.61081896
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 4 years ago.
this unit has a polit ,,, when you up look into the bottom of the oven do you see a flame up by the burner tube?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I do not see a flame. I think I am looking at the burner tube?
there is a tube running up and hooked to the tube ,, stick a match to it and see if it lites up and let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Any pictures so I can see what "tube" we are talking about. Also, keep the propane turned off right?
no we need the gas on ,,, the part you need to lite is #42 in this picture
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Should I turn it on low and light from the back of the stove. Just a bit worried bout sticking my head in the oven ? any need for me to worry?
the only gas you should have is at the polit and it will be small ,, do not turn the oven on to do this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I checked into it last night and could not find a pilot light anywhere. The diagram that was sent did not match up. I did notice on the door this numberNNN-NN-NNNNI also noticed two wires coming out of part 17 shown on the diagram you had sent.
is the range plugged up and have power?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, its plugged into the wall. The top burners work fine as well
and the valve has 2 wires coming from it ,, right?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
then it has the electronic valve and it makes the spark for the polit it lite ,, it dont show that valve in my stuff ,,, if you push in and hold the themostat knob does it spark it the polit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, the knob does not "push" in. it just simply turns
how old is the range?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5 years
sorry to be so long but i was looking the range over again ,,,, have you yet tryed sticking a match to the end of the pilot and see if it lites up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, but I did not see a pilot light anywhere. The diagram that was sent to me did not match my stove.
pull the lower drewer open and resend the model number ,,, something isnt right here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I have looked everywhere to confirm the model number. Where can I find this number?
pull the lower drewer open and it should be on a sticker on the leg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will check again, but did not see it. Can I take a picture and upload to you as well?
yes you add it by using the icon in the toolbar that looks like a tree
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could not find a model number anywhere. I have a picture but do not see a toolbar or a tree
not suppose to do this but send it to larryyb @ centurytel , net
you have a ignitor and not pilot ,,, you will need to take the model number to a local appliance parts dealer and pick up a bake ignitor and install it and that will fix the problem ,, i can get you a part number because my data base keeps pulling up the wrong setup / thanks chris and have a great day / larry
let me know if you get this
respond to this one and see if it works ,, ok
Chris sorry your having so much problem on here but let see if this will work today for you ,,, if you get this message then you can respond and we can follow up / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello, Larry.

I am back. So it sounds like an ignitor issue. I have no idea what the model number is. have looked everywhere and can't find it. How do I locate this number, also what's a typical ignitor cost and or am I better off buying a new oven
i done some digging and found out that will work in your oven ,, it cost $88.20 and here is a link to order it from ,,, hope this helps and feel free to contact me anytime / larry
graphic

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=b5a13c249i2809&PartID=2809
before i leave today if you still have futher questions feel free to ask / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you think I can fix this or would have to hire someone
sorry to be so long but yes you can do this ,, unplug the range and remove the bottom panel in the oven, remove the two screws holding the ignitor on the side of the burner tube and swap it out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I looked at the part on my stove last night, it looks similar but the piece the wires are going into is brown on mine not white? are we pretty sure this the right part?
The color doesn't make the difference, you will cut the wires and splice the new ignitor ,,, yes it will work / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey, my local sears has this in stock, but I see a lot of different ignitors http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/showPart.pd?partNumber=WB2X9998&productGroupId=0022&supplierId=364&pathTaken=&filterPart=&pop=flush

Do you have a part number or model number of the part or stove I could have them look up?
the part number WB2X9998 that you are looking at will work just fine and a lot cheaper than the one i found ,,, remember you could not find a model number on your range to pull up the part number for the one you have but if you buy this one and install it you will be bakeing again this afternoon haha
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX at sears was telling me that if I did not get the right one for the stove that it would not work. Something about the mounting bracket and the distance away from the flame. I just called him and now that one is not in stock. Will another model number works as well? Having a Neb. football party tonight and the wife is on me......
the fastest way to do this is to unplug the range, take the screws out holding the ignitor and cut the wires and take it to a local appliance parts dealer and they can match it and you can install and the two wires you cut doesnt matter which hooks to which and get the wife off your back / thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good, will give it a shot and let you know how it goes
ok thanks ,,