Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

I have an American style Whirlpool fridge freezer (model number

Customer Question

I have an American style Whirlpool fridge freezer (model number 858640215000) with the ice and water facility on the front of the freezer door. The machine has started making a knocking noise periodically and the water now doesn't run smooth but comes out in quick short bursts.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 7 years ago.
does the icemaker still work ok?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes fine
and the water kicks in and out in a jurking motion when filling a glass off water ,, right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
the water valve needs to be replaced ,, the solenoid for the water side isnt opening as it should ,,, take your model number to a local appliance parts dealer and they can get you the right one and swap it out ,, its located on the back of the fridge and should be on the lower right hand side ,, your water supply from the sink or wall connects to the valve / thanks Larry
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What about the knocking noise as that happens at any time whether the water is being used or not?

that is the water line knocking aganst the the back of the fridge from the water pressure ,, the valve should take care of that
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am just looking for the part now but can't find a 'water valve' listed. I have found a solenoid. Would it be this?

thats it ,,, they call they by different names
before i leave today if you still have futher questions feel free to ask / thanks