Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

I have a kenmore model 596.58642891 26 Freestanding Dispensing

I have a kenmore model 596.58642891 26" Freestanding Dispensing Side-by-Side Refrigerator. It was working fine until I move it out to get a lid out from under it. I removed the front kick plate and vacuumed the dust out. I utrn what i believe to be a defrost timer and the unit has not cooled since then. The fan underneth runs and it will ocasionally blow out cool air inside the freezer and refrigerator compartment. The air is not cooled only cool and it cycles on and off. I beleived it might be in the defrost mode but it has been more than 9 hours since I last turned the defrost timer. Any ideas what the issue might be? The refrigerator is about 9 yaers old.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
Do you hear any humming and clicking occassionally coming from the compressor area during this time?

WARNING, if you use the OPT OUT button on the tool bar, this will bar me from answering back to you. once pressed I cannot answer anymore of your questions...Use this button with caution...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not believe so. All I here is the fan running. Is the humming or clicking you are referering the compressor kicking on and of if so I do not believe so? I also noticed the compressor is warm or hot to the touch. Is this normal?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
It should be warm to the touch to almost hot, it should be vibrating also if you touch it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not at home now so I can not see if it is vibrating but I do believe it was when I checked it yesterday evening but I am not sure. If it is vibrating what is the next step? If it is not vibrating what is the next step?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
IF it is vibrating then when you move the unit, being 9 years old you may have caused a refridgerent leak on the coils, this is a very expensive repair for the unit, if the unit is just hot, then the overload relay on the compressor may have only failed, which is not a very expensive repair for the most part...

Your acceptance of my answer if helpful to you, requires that you press the GREEN ACCEPT button, this will allow me to get credit for helping you today, The deposit you paid in the beginning is just that and does not transfer to any experts until you press it...

Pressing the ACCEPT button will not stop me from contnue to helping you in the future if needed on the problem we are working on..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The refrigerator has wheels so we just rolled the unit out. I did use a vacuum to clean the coils, do you believe this could have caused a refridgerent leak? I work on electronics, is the overload relay easy to get to and replace? Any idea what might cuase the overload relay to go bad? Is this a common failure? I can by the part for $8.56 from Sears.com.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
It is easy to replace, just remove the cover from the compressor to install, also replace the PTC part number 10097202, and yes just moving the unit could cause it to leak, the solder joints become brittle and it only take a crack the size of a human hair to leak out the refridgerent within hours of the crack..

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the parts you suggested and the compressor is vibarting. It appears to run for very short periods of time and is only cooling the freezer down to about 63 degrees. any ideas why?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
does the fan shut off at the same time the compressor stop running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I beileve the fan that blow the air on the inside of the compartment stops running more often than the compressor. The fan on the back side runs all the time. The air which blows out does not feel real cold. The lowest the inside temperature has gotten is 62 degrees. The compressor is vibrating slightly, I am not sure how hard it is suppose to vibrate but I can feel it slightly. It gets pretty hot to the touch. It just does not appear to be cooloing the air enough. What do you think?

Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
The fan running near the compressor should be running whenever the compressor runs, the one inside the freezer can be hooked up to only run when the coils get cold eneough..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The one near the compressor has been running the entire time. What do you make of that? Also why do you think it is not cooling any better than it is?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 years ago.
This is most likely a leak in the sealed system then, today the temps may even be warmer than yesterday also..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the information we have decide to just my a new refrigerator.