Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (freezer on top) is leaking

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator (freezer on top) is leaking water from the back ceiling of the fridge from the holes and air vent from the freezer. What is going on and how do I fix it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.

You will need to remove the shelves and the icemaker and then remove the back panel. Once you have the panel removed look below the coils and you will probably see ice buildup. Use a hairdryer to remove this ice and reveal the drain. You will need to heat up water until boiling and put a cup of water on this hole until it drains out. This will clear the drain line and stop the leaking into the refrigerator part. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This makes sense but alot of water comes out probably for about a minute and then does not happen again for several hours sometimes 18 hours. Seems like it would drip continually if this was the problem?
Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
The defrost cycle only runs a few times a day and it will leak at that time and for a little while afterwards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is my first time...can I ask follow up questions after I "accept" or is this closed out and a new question is needed?

Expert:  Robert replied 7 years ago.
Absolutely. I will be on to answer them for you.