Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a GE XL44 oven and the top burners work but the oven

I have a GE XL44 oven and the top burners work but the oven and broiler won't come on what is my probleM?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
If you turn the broil on and open the door. Look toward the middle back section near the ceiling and you will see the igniter for the broil burner. Does it turn orange and start glowing?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

there is nothing glowing at all

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 years ago.
ok so that means you could have one of a few problems. One, could be that both your igniters are bad for both the bake and the broil. This isn't likely because it's not common for both igniters to go bad at the same time.

You could have a bad control board, or a bad safety gas valve. Here is how you determine what is bad.

pull the unit out and remove the back cover of the oven. Locate the wires going into the broil igniter (or bake whatever you prefer). Disconnect the wire connection to the igniter and use a volt meter to check the voltage from one wire to the other when you turn the unit onto broil. If you get 120 volts, then your igniter is bad. If you get zero volts from one wire to the other then you either have a bad control board or safety valve.

Check one wire to ground (or the case of the oven) if you get 120 volts from either wire to ground, then your control board is good and your valve is bad. If you do not get 120 volts then your control board is bad.