Robert
Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.
19947765

I have an Amana AOCS3040SS wall oven with a persistent F9 problem.

Customer Question

I have an Amana AOCS3040SS wall oven with a persistent F9 problem. I have already spent way too much money on this appliance but am not yet ready to send it to appliance heaven. I do not care if the self clean works and would gladly bypass the latch assembly if I could find out how. (I have tried and failed) . I would like some diagnostic help to determine where the problem lies, not being keen to fork out $250 for a new controller board unless I am certain that that is the proble. I understand that the controller board sends out a signal on the common wire to the micro switches and trys to find it at some later point in the circuit but without a Service Manual its a bit hit and miss. Other symptoms, I think the door lock motor is "fried" and the "door lock" relay seems to cycle a lot even when the door is open.
Looking for diagnostic help I am a competent electronic technician.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

This is a code for a bad door lock assembly. Replacing the door lock will fix the problem and the cost is around 112 dollars. The part number is XXXXX There is really no diagnostics needed but if you would like access to the technical manual, here is a link:

http://servicematters.com/maytag_library/docs/16021876.pdf

Let me know if you have any other questions.

INNER CAVITY, BLOWER, BAKE, & BROIL ASSY

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is the stock answer but I have no reson to believe that it is correct. What part of the door lock assembly would be broken such that I get the F9 error message when I am just using bake. I am not talking about trying to use the clean function. I can force the door lock assembly into the right configuration, or remove it altogether and hard wire to the unlocked config. Select any function bake, convection etc and after about 5 minutes it beeps and F9 returns. It does this with the door switch in either the open or closed position.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
The door switch assy has two switches on it. They both have to be in a particualr position to let the clock know they are positioned for cooking. If the clock thinks the door is locked, it will not bake and it will give the F9 code. You may want to pull the microswitches off of the unit and carefully check the insides for any shorting. The problem is going to be in that area though. I rarely every see the coding on this unit being wrong. I do see them break alot but the codes are accurate. Let me know if one of those switches has signs of shorting. With your experience, you may be able to replace just the micro switch and save alot of money.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have removed microswitches and have orange hard-wired to violet and grey is just floating.

Anyway i have been at this for many hours now so am going to call it quits for tonight.

If ultimately, it turns out that you are right I will pay up but I have a horrible feeling that it is something more complicated, which is why my original qestion was asking about the specific mechanisim used (presumably by the controller board) to determine the status of the door. I understand that a signal is sent out on the common "orange" to the two micro switches and is detected at some othe point along the way. If the signal is not sent, then clearly it cannot be detected but at the moment I do not have the full story.

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
I understand what you are saying and agree that there should be more of a descriptive trail for us as technicians to follow. In this modern world they have taken that away from us and given this vague component trail in its place. Good luck with your investigating but I ultimately believe the problem will be fixed with replacement of the part.