Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

The out flow of the maytag washer is too forceful and the water

The out flow of the maytag washer is too forceful and the water backs up into the the 2 sinks. I am taking the drain line of the washer into a 1 1/2" stand pipe that goes to a common drain that also has 2 sinks attached. The washer drain attaches above the 2 sinks on the 1 1/2" drain line.

This is a very old rental duplex sharing the same drain. I cannot jack hammer up the floor to put in new drain line. I tried snaking from where the vent comes out the roof and I get so far and the snake stops.

My config right now is that the stand pipe does a 90 degree and heads in to the main 1 1/2" line.The top of the stand pipe is also 38" above the floor.

Is there a way to get into the washer and decrease the water flow? Or can I, as one friend suggested but I do not think is a wise option, is to crimp the flex drain hose but I would think that would create too much back pressure.

I think that there must be a way to modify the output in or on the washer unit it self.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.

yes the drain has to be able to carry away 20 gals .a min. , no way to change volume of water that pump discharges.

You could only restrict drain , somehow .

I can not tell you how due to legal reasons we are not able to tell you how to modify an appliance.

But You should alway listen to your friends,Wink

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You see, my one thought would be to find out where the water empties inside the washer and decrease the size of the output hole.

I do listen to my friends also.
yes just a small hose clamp say restrict hose 10-20%
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line