The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

ge harmony washer gives error message problem has been detected

Customer Question

ge harmony washer gives error message problem has been detected with this unit. so i took the top off disconnected the wires to the computer put them back on and it worked for about 5 loads. and now its saying it again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 7 years ago.

Try the same thing again. Some GE units are prone to electrolysis at the contact points. This will cause a bad connection in a short period of time. If the unit works properly after you reconnect the contacts then clean the contacts real good and apply some dielectric grease to them. This will prevent it from happening again. Please note: You can not use regular grease. It MUST be dielectric. Otherwise the grease will form an electrical pathway and ruin the control card.

You can get the dielectric grease at any automotive store.

Best, THS

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no, i was told that there is a dianostic mode you can go in to to find out what caused it. they said a ge repair would know. is that you?

I will need the model number of the unit to see if I have the service manual for it.

Thank you.