Robert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  16+ years of in home appliance repair knowledge.

MY neptune TL will not start because of the code FL . I know

MY neptune TL will not start because of the code "FL". I know this means it's not locking but I can see the reed switch is working on the right hand side. (the plastic lever comes out of the side and into the hole in the lid) The switch on the left hand side is working also except for the fact that the "tongue" piece of plastic that comes out of the side and into the lid is broken off. I can see the "neck" of it moving back and forth it just doesn't extend out of the side and into the hole in the lid. The magnet is in the lid and working because the machine will tell me when the lid is open or "LO". I took the the washer apart and found the L.H. reed switch w/ the magnet contacts. It all looked fine, I just took a wire brush to the two corroded contacts and cleaned them up. The LO is still working butb I cannot get the machine to start because of "FL"! I cannot even begin a service test because of the "FL"! To top it all off I am just trying to help my soon to be ex-wife!! HELP!

This is a common problem with your unit. One of the two lid switches is not sending the proper signal to the controls to let it know it locked. There are two on your unit and if one fails, the code will pop up. Here is the breakdown. The parts are number 29 and 32.

With all of that said, you will need to replace the door lock on the left hand side because it is sending the wrong information to the control. The part number is XXXXX and it costs around 54 dollars. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Will you allow me to go buy the part tomorrow (I already went and looked at one at reliable appliance parts in portland OR it will cost me $53 and change) then install it and make sure it fixes the problem before I accept? I have no problem paying the $18, I just want to make sure that the washer is going to work before we close out this session for good.

Not a problem. I am confident in my diagnosis and will gladly wait.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I will be back in contact with you in the next 24-48hrs. Dana
I will check in to make sure I answer any questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It Worked, Thank you!
You are welcome. Have a great weekend!

Edited by Robert on 10/3/2009 at 9:40 PM EST