Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a 3 year old front loading Sears Washer that does not

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old front loading Sears Washer that does not spin when washing clothes when operating in regular mode. If I go into diagnostic mode, and run through the diagnostic functions, the unit spins like a jet engine. According to the service manual, I have an error code E43. This tells me to replace the control board.

What do you think?

Sears Model Number: 417 44052401
Serial Number: XC60107761

Thank You

Ned
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
That is correct, but there are several control boards. The board you need to replace is the control board on the bottom of the unit called the motor control board. If you pull the unt out and remove the back panel you can access the motor control board that needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Question: The manual mentions a "control board" and a "speed control board". Is the control board behind the push buttons? I see from the manual that the speed control board is down in the bottom of the unit near the motor.

Question: If the speed control board is bad, why does the motor spin properly when in diagnostic mode?

Please Advise

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
correct, to both statements in the first question.

As far as why it works in diagnostics? It just does. I can't explain it aside from that, F43 just means that the board couldn't communicate with the motor control board when spinning. This is why you get an F43, but it's not the inerface boards problem, it can't communicate because the motor control board isn't running through the logic it needs to when running a normal cycle. The diagnostics is a completely different set of logic on the board.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
I should add one more thing

Often times with an F43 error code, I've found that the door latch is actually the fault causing the signal to not reach the motor control board. There is absolutely no way to test this, and it will pass the door lock test every time so there isn't a point trying it in diagnostics anyways. Either way, I carry one on my truck so I can always swap it in and check to see if it works before replacing the motor control board.

It might be something you want to try since the lock is so much cheaper than the board.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Follow up question/status:

I replaced the speed control board as you suggested and this did not solve the problem. The washer will not go into a spin cycle except in diagnostic mode.

I replaced the control board because this is waht the service manual suggested, and this didn't fix the problem either. When I go into diagnostic mode the unit will spin, but not in normal mode.

If I set the washer for rinse/spin, or quick wash, it will go through all of the cycles correctly. The pump will come on to drain out the rinse water, but the tub will not spin at all. After the pump runs for a time, it stops and the tub goes forward then backward a few times but never reaches spin speed.

I'm into this repair for ~ $300 and it still won't spin. Where do I go from here?

Please Advise

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 years ago.
Read my last post

Quote: