william, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Major Home Appliance Technician Specialist Whirpool Certificate
13954826

where is the button for the pilot light for a gas furnace?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

it should be right at the top of the gasvalve usally a big red button its a button not a switch right on top

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The gas valve is detached from the furnace. I see where the thermal couple goes into the other thing, but I can't find the button to push in to light the pilot.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

that other thing is it a silver box

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a silver box where the power switch is, and I have a silver box with the nob that says ON and OFF, but I can only press it down about 1/4", otherwise I'd hold that down for the pilot light, but nothing happens.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

thats the button right there turn the power off for 1 minute then try this again if it dont lite i suspect the thermal coupler being bad and if its not that then its the gasvalve itself its one or the other

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It worked last year when I shut it off, and turned the gas off...it was just working, not that it needs the thermal cupler, but it was working a couple weeks ago with the central air.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

these components go out for no rhyme or reason like i mentioned its one of 2 items and lets hope its not the gasvalve thats expensive all by itself

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so when I turn the tan switch from off to on, it should stay on "after it's lit"?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
the pilot light should stay on with out the fan does it stay on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i haven't been able to get the pilot light lit...can i just turn the thermostat on and just manually light it every time, or does the pilot light need to be lit? will the furnace kick in if the pilot light isn't lit?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

if you cant get this to lite manually then its not gonna do anything but blow cold air and i dont think you want that the furnace wont kick in all because it has a couple of safetys in it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
looks like we're looking at a new furnace then. thanks
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
how old is your furnace?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i'm not sure, it was old when we bought the house 5 years ago...it's an old green magic chef that had central air put in in 03. i heard that their are a lot of rebates for newer models for energy efficiency. and a possible cash for appliances too.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

your right i think bosch has something like a tax credit of 300.00 theres alot of new ones out there more then what they had yrs ago i wish you the best of luck in your search