esequiel walker
esequiel walker, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
15396620

I recently purchased a used Magic Chef Stove/Oven -- glass

Customer Question

I recently purchased a used Magic Chef Stove/Oven -- glass top
Model #: 3868XRA-X
Serial #: 12C321271632

My problem is that it intermittently starts beeping. While it beeps it flashes "F-1" on the digital screen. The oven and stove still work during the beeping, but it is a real annoyance to hear the beeping. It will beep even if the oven/stove is not being used.

Do you know how to resolve this issue?
I am unable to contact the original owner.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sincerely,
Yvonne Berry
Category: Appliance
Expert:  esequiel walker replied 4 years ago.
hi there f1 means that the control board is bad 1 or more relays are bad so it has malfunctioned,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So what should we do to solve the problem? . . .
you will need to replace the control board i can get you a price on it to give you an idea of the cost.pressing accept is how i get paid thanks
Experience: my father has an appliance repair business for over 30 yrs i have 18 yrs exp
Expert:  william replied 4 years ago.

sorry to but in but it could be the touchpad look here

F1 1. Watchdog on board
2. Touch membrane defective
To determine which component is at fault, disconnect ribbon strip. If NO fault code, replace membrane, otherwise replace board

Here is a simple test that you can do to determine whether the clock or the touchpad are defective when the display reads F1:

- Disconnect power to the range.
- Gain access to the back of the ERC (electronic range control, or "clock").
- Unplug the touch pad ribbon connector from the ERC. This will be a flat wire about 1 ½" to 2" wide.
- Make sure everything is clear and will not short out when power is turned back on. Replace any covers removed to gain access to the ERC.
- Turn the power back on to the range.
- Watch for the F-1 and listen for the beep.
- If you get the F-1 and beep, replace the ERC.
- If after approximately 60 Minutes you do not get the F-1 fault, replace the touch pad.

NOTE: Some models incorporate the touch pad and the clock control as one part so F1 = bad clock control.

Warning: If you do not feel comfortable doing this test or making this repair please contact a qualified appliance repair technician

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.