Whrlp Master Tech
Whrlp Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician
Experience:  30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
16832328

Is there a way to prevent my 4 year old refrigerator from failing

Is there a way to prevent my 4 year old refrigerator from failing while being in a cold garage? I've been moving it in and out of the house every winter since I learned that it didn't like temperatures below 40F. This year I thought I'd find a fix such as a small heater or insulate the compressor area better. Is there a special temperature sensor that controls this behavior?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 years ago.
may I have you model number ot better assist you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

GE Refrigerator model # XXXXX

ok so insulating the compressor will not do anything other then make the compressor get hot and go off on thermal overload.

The interior Freshfood section walls are they metal or plastic?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The interior walls are plastic.

ok When they where made of metal I would tell you to bypass light switch and put in a very low wattage bulb in the freshfood section..

But the plastic will melt.

The reason it stops cooling is due to the thermostat ( where the temperature Dial is)

the interior Freshfood temp drops below 36 degrees and it never call for compressor to turn back on .

With the design of this unit Nothing you can do .

It was designed by the manufacture to run at an ambeint temp of a minumum of 70 degrees.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a thermometer in the fridge. It is currently at 33F. How is the ambient temperature sensed? What will be damaged if the ambient temp sensor is bypassed?

its not an ambeint temp sensor it is the only thermostat inthe product, it senses the freshfood air temp .

When the temp in the fresh food section drops below 30-32 it will never cycle the unit back on , thus stuff in freezer does not stay rock hard.

If you bypass it the refrigerator will run all the time when not defrosting which is once every 8 hrs. for 21 min. at a time

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think I could replace the thermostat with a different one that has a lower limit? I really want to leave this refrigerator out in the garage!

you would have to hunt around for one ,You would not be able to get one from GE
Experience: 30 years Appliance Field 15 yr with Whirlpool Corp. 9 yrs Whirlpool Technical Assistance Line
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Please suggest how to research the thermostat that will satisfy my situation. Are they catagorized by temperature range? Will a parts store guy know what I'm talking about if I ask for a 10F low limit thermostat?

yes the thermostat has temperature range printed right on it .