ge microwave jvm1861sf001 is making low humming sound

Does it heat at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do not know. Should I try to boil water?

no that can cause fdurther damage! my initial thoght is the high voltage diode is bad, however you need a volt ohm meter to check it for continunity. you access it by removing the cabinet that surrounds the microwave.

#77 on diagram click for details High voltage diode
6.00L x 6.00W x 0.20H
In stock
$55.99 List price: $55.99 Quantity: Add to cart

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We did put water in for 1.5 minutes (gefore I got your email). It is definitely making an odd smell that it has never made before.

I still think it is the above part, but it can be the magnatron too! The diode is the way to check. You will not have access toi the equipment to check the magnatron !

A diode only allows current to travel in one direction and you check a diode for that quality.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something I can do myself. Pull the cabinet off, locate, disconnect. Take to parts store to test and replace if needed?
You can pull the cabinet off, however there is 50000 volts inside even with it disconnected!!!!! If you are not familiar with this type of work PLEASE don't touch it you will be injured or worse! The labor rates are now at above $70 hour so most times it is easier and cheaper to replace the unit!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good to know!!! I will not mees with this myself then. Thank you
good move thanks!