Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Problem with gas cook stove.Stove is in great shape but when

Problem with gas cook stove.Stove is in great shape but when i try to turn on oven it trips the ground fault.It is elect.start and no problem if you light the top burners just when you try and light the oven and try to set temp.That's when it trips the ground falt.I also tried pluging in another appliance to the same outlet and no problem.Just when the stove is pluged back in and you try and light the oven.
Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you have a short to the oven igniter most likely. sometimes when these are replaced if you dont use ceramic wirenuts they can melt and short out, also these draw allot of amps when lighting. have you tried plugging this into another outlet without a ground fault and see if it lights? let me know thanks,Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried doing what you said .I pluged into another outlet and it seems to be working fine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you need to keep this off the gfi outlet , it draws to many amps and trips the gfi. if your going to run this on a extension cord you will need a heavy duty appliance one. hope this helps,thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That sounds good but it has been hooked up this way for about seven years now.I don't understand all of a sudden it trips the ground fault.By the way this outlet has been replaced.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
well what is the amperage of the gfi outlet? when was this replaced ? did this start after it was replaced? if this runs fine on another out it has to be either the outlet that was replaced is bad or the amperage is different than the one in there before, they have 15 amp 20 amp, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I must admit that i didn't know about the different amperage I thought i picked one up that was exactly the same.So i guess i should replace with a 20 amp one right? and see if that works.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
if the wirring is for a 20 amp yes, it probably is being its for a stove, do you still have the old one? if so just look at it, thank Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks BRYAN,

I'll check it out and hope that it takes care of the problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok your welcome, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.