built1950
built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

Our dryer is taking alot longer for the clothes to dry. I

Our dryer is taking alot longer for the clothes to dry. I put a thermometer in the dryer and the temperature went up to 170 then would back to 140 and then go back to 170 - is this normal? If so what would cause the dryer to take extra long for the clothes to dry?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
This is a common occurrence with dryers. It happens when the 4" vent is restricted. I know you said it's not plugged but it doesn't have to be, even a small amount can make a difference. Pull the dryer out and disconnect the vent, clean it and the vent terminal (where it goes thru the wall). Also clean in the vent connection in the dryer. Reassemble and if using a metal flex duct make sure it's not looping back on itself or squashed. It is just as important that it should be a straight unobstructed line. Never use plastic, it's a fire hazard. If you do all this and the problem persists then you'll have to replace the thermostat. In that case let me know and I'll tell you how to get it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I test the temperature, it was with the duct and the air flow was coming directly out of the dryer into open air space.

Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Some temperature fluctuation is normal. Is it taking more than an hour to dry?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - on both the auto sensor and timed mode.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
OK.
Before spending any money lets go a little further. You'll have to open the front and back for this but it might save you money. If the vent doesn't make a difference, then check the blower wheel for excessive lint build up, check that there isn't anything stuck to the air intake baffle inside the drum, (i.e. the screen on the back wall of the dryer when looking into the drum). Check the lint filter chute for blockage. Check that the heating element isn't shorted to ground. Check that the drum seals are not worn out. Check all these and then we'll talk about spending money.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok - I checked all the items you suggested and didn't discover any issues
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
Time to test. For the purposes of the test only, leave the vent disconnected.
Put a load of washed clothes in the dryer. Use timed dry for small load and auto for large load. Periodically check the vent temp where it exits the dryer, it should fluctuate from 120 to 160. Thats normal and if you did the checks diligently you should end up with dry clothes.
built1950, Handyman
Experience: Appliance Installer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, I am leaving this am until next Monday, so I will not be able to complete your last reply, however I will do that next tuesday and reply back to you. I appreciate your input and have all the intentions of paying once we complete this.
Expert:  built1950 replied 4 years ago.
As you wish. Enjoy your trip.