Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

i have a maytag model mah5500bww ser # 749612222ac it wont

i have a maytag model mah5500bww ser #NNN-NN-NNNN it won't work on all setting and sometimes not at all. if i hit the on off button several times sometimes it will work. i tried to run the test on the led function as described in the paper work that came with the machine but i had no luck with that. do you think my problem is on the led panel itself or do you think it could be the circuit board?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
When you say it wont enter the diagnostic mode at all, please tell me how the machine reacts when you TRY to put it into the diagnostic. Also, please tell me what actually WORKS (or doesnt work) when the machine is seemingly operating normally. IE-- does the SPIN/DRAIN always fail, the tumble, the fill etc? In other words, when it "works" as you say, does the machine operate as you would expect and complete the whole cycle?
Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok when i push the delicates and heavey soil keys for three seconds it beeps so i assume i'm in the service mode. then i go tomembrane pad check by pressing wrinkle free key which should start a membrane pad switch check. i started by pressing the cotton sturdy key and it comes on. but none of the other keys will come on at this point and the cotton sturdy stays lit. as far as when it worked it worked in cotton sturdy and completed the wash cyle fine when it does work
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
Sorry for all the quetions but i want to make sure I lead you into the correct diagnosis.
So, when the machine FAILS to operate, is it that the machine wont even turn on at all OR , will the machine at least do SOMETHING, such as a fill (sound of water coming in) verified throught the dispenser or just the sound of water moving,or ANY sign that the machine is TRYING to operate?
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
when it fails to operate it won't do anything at all. this problem has escaalted to the point where i can't get it to work at all. last time i used it it worked on cotton sturdy and copleted the whole wash cycle, now it won't do anything at all on cotton sturdy or any other cycle. in the past month i could coax it to work in cotton sturdy by playing with the on/off button, turning it on and off repeatedly, but that won't work anymore. hope this info helps
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Yes it does! Thanks for that.
Since the problem has been PROGRESSIVE in nature, but the problem now results in your complete inability to interact with the machine, and the fact that you are unable to pass the membrane test when you CAN enter it, I am inclined to diagnose the problem as a failed console (includes membrane) assembly which is part # XXXXX and is $193.79 retail priced from Sears.There IS a possibility that the problem cound be caused by a power supply problem from the main controller (CCU), part #22004299 and $146.36 but this is unlikely since you had some success when playing with the On/Off button located on the membrane pad. These pads are known to have problems in the actual button switches below the actual button that the user presses and its usually cuased by the fact the , even under NORMAL circumstances, the area where washers are installed are subjected to hot, steamy and sometimes grimy/soapy environments as well as viibration from the machine that is also normal in most cases. It is worth it to first check under the console to ensure that ALL connections between the CCU and interface console are tight, removing then reinstalling them a few times to visually inspect and be sure. Check your manual to make sure that he electronic assemblies are NOT covered under an EXTENDED warranty given by the manufacturer. ALOT of times, there is an extension to the 1-year all-inclusive warranty on the machine as a whole that most consumers and even some techs are not aware of.My diagnosis in this case would be a failed interface module (console), based on your observations and answers to my questions. Please let me know if you have any more questions about this problem, Im here to help!
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.