Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

I have a maytag washer that blows a fuse,in the back of washer,

Customer Question

I have a maytag washer that blows a fuse,in the back of washer, every time I turn it on and start filling it. What would cause that fuse to keep blowing, The water valve??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today.
Many maytags had an inline fuse for the water valve which, if was constantly blowing, meant that the valve solenoids were drawing too much current because they were becoming or actualy were stuck or the solenoids were beginning to fail. That being said, please give me the complete model number from your machine and I will look at your wiring diagram and we can continue if need be.
Thanks!
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. mod# XXXXX
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
That fuse is wired in series with neutral for the the fill valve, pressure switch and the lid switch. If it continues to blow ONLY when the machine is filling, then i would check the fill valve and make sure it ohmed out very low with your meter set on 1x scale, and that you were not in fact having any fill problems, such as slow fill where obstruction of the screens in the end of the valve were NOT the cause, No fill on a certain water temp, (OVERFILLING when the machine is powered on would indicate pressure switch problems causing the fuse to blow, unlikely based on your description of the symptoms) , etc but if the fuse blows during spins, agitate , etc or cycles where the fill valve was not being used, a faulty lid switch is most often the cause. This model uses two switches in the composite lid switch assembly and is replaced as an assembly to repair. Worn timer contacts can also cause this but it is not as likely as the fill valve or the lid switch and you did not indicate any other problems besides the fuse blowing. Please let me know if you need further information!
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 9/30/2009 at 6:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you were wrong it was one of the switches on the same board as the fuse. I want a refund.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer
I do not understand, as the below text is a QUOTE from my last post. You asked me what it could be and I told you what it could be. I told you it could be one one of the two lid switches causing the fuse to blow, and it sounds like that in fact is what it turned out to be! You never did get back to me about what happened when you checked the valve, the swithces, etc so we could further narrow down the culprit beyond my answering the question you asked. Here is a quote from the post :

"
cycles where the fill valve was not being used, a faulty lid switch is most often the cause. This model uses two switches in the composite lid switch assembly and is replaced as an assembly to repair."

This is the only "board" on the machine, so I assume that is what you mean. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 10/2/2009 at 12:14 AM EST