Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

I have a three year washer, Model WCSR4170, that works fine,

I have a three year washer, Model WCSR4170, that works fine, but there is a sour odor coming from the agitator, not the fabric softener dispenser. How can I get rid of the odor??
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX i am happy to help you today!
There are a couple of different approaches you could take to try to eliminate odors from your washer.One way that is entirely painless on your part would be to get a product called "Affresh" , which is designed SPECIFICALLY to clean accumulated dirt,grime and crud from the inside of a washing machine in places you cannot see, and using it is just a matter of putting it into the washer and running an empty cycle. This product works GREAT, but it can only go wherever water can go inside the machine.Antoher very similar product that has shown great success is a product called "Washer Magic" We use both of these out in the field. Just running a long empty cycle with Hot water and 1-2 cups of bleach can also be effective to kill organisms which contribute to odors in a washer. Now, If you REALLY want to get into the machine and clean out crud, this machine's agitator can EASILY be removed by simply grabbing it at the base of the agitator, taking a deep breath, and pulling straight up firmly and forcefully, to remove the agitator from the agitator coupling, shown in the diagram. Now, you can see all previously unexposed parts of the wash basket, and you MAY find crud has built up under the agitator and in the agitator itself, because when installed, the agitator tends to be kind of like an old diving bell, in that water and chemicals connot EASILY flow below and inside of the hollow parts, so if any dirty water DOES actually gets under there, it usually dries up and molds, causing the smell. A combination of pulling the agitator, cleaning it thoroughly as well as using one of the chemicals mentioned above, will eliminate your odor problem 99 percent of the time! SOmetimes though, crud will build up ABOVE the water line on the INSIDE of the tub, so even the BEST chemical treatment cannot touch the offending debris, so we have to tak the machine top off, remove the tub ring and scrub this manually. is usually caused by an overuse of soap which causes excess suds which extend above the highest water line, or use of a low quality soap that produces excess suds. Soap, believe it or not, will actually smell very foul inyour washer when it has not been completely rinsed away as it goes through chemical changes and becomes condusive to mold and mildew growth. Please let me know if need any more information!
Thanks!
graphic