Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
10734586

GE washer model WHDSR315DAWW. Water leakage during the discharge

GE washer model WHDSR315DAWW. Water leakage during the discharge process.
If no hose leak, is it possible that the part into which the drain hose connects has become worn?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
graphic

Hello ! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to help you today!
If the drain hose is not leaking visibly on the outside, you will need to open the machine and trace the leak. To do this, get a putty knife and insert it between panel #375 (front) and #391 ( top) from the diagram Ive included here, feeling for the pring clips which hold the panel on. Push them and pull out on the panel. Now, you will be able to pinpoint the leak. It is ok to run the machine this way so you can observe the leak in action during different phases of your cycle. Once you determine where the water is coming from, I can help you wit a repair if youd like. Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 9/30/2009 at 12:05 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am tired. Will get back with you tomorrow. Thanks.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
No problem! Talk to you then!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to get the front panel off. What is the sub for a putty knife to release the spring locks?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
You can use anything flat and rigid enough to get between the front and top panels. A small, thin screwdriver, a dinner knife, anything. Just slip it in and you will feel the clips. Put whatever tool your using under the clip, then pull the panel out from the top on that side. Do the same on the other side, now lift the panel; off the bottom clips and thats it! You've got access!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. I got the panel off. Will run a load a check for source of leak. Good prompting.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good! Let me know what you see!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Went through the discharge cycle with no spillage. I had tightened on the connection of the exhaust hose. Saw some dripping of water from around the main shaft that accumulated in the base pan. Very little water. But I had turned the machine upside down trying to inspect from below and some water went some places. If the rinse cycle turns out fine I will be very happy. Thanks for the direction. Good to know that the expert is on the other end. Very much like my regular job in a different field.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Glad to help, let me know if you have any more questions!
ThanksCustomer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A bit of water seems to be excaping from around the main shaft. If the machine should be operating free of any water from around the main shaft, then that is a problem.

Kindly respond. But again, no spillage.

Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Uh Oh, it sounds like a tub seal. Is it in the area where the gearbox extends into the bottom of the tub?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is correct. Over time that will cause water to accumulate in the bottom pan resulting in overflow. You have to provide guidance to correct that problem.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer Sorry about the wait, had to get some dinner!

This site, CLICK HERE will provide step-by-step pictorial instructions for accesing the seal, and I have provided my own synopsis below. Please follow steps 4, 5 and 6 in the guide to access the seal. You will need to obtain part # XXXXX which is $6.99 from Sears , and looks
like this :

graphic

It is located at index #311 in the diagram I enclosed :
graphic

You will also need to obtain a GE basket hub spanner nut install/removal tool , to ensure you do not damage the aluminum spanner nut. It most likely will be caked with crud and corroded onto the gearbox shaft . You then pry out the old seal, press the new one in with CARE, using a circular hollow, blunt object that is the same size as the outer part of th seal. Basically, you will be removing the top, the tub cover, the wash basket, the basket hub, the split-ring and washer to gain acces to the seal, through the top of the machine. It can be done without removing the gearbox or tub.This is NO small job, but if you are motivated, you can do it.

Thanks!

Edited by Eric on 9/30/2009 at 3:01 AM EST
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.