built1950, Handyman
Experience:  Appliance Installer

Hi wonder if you can help, I have a Maytag Zigzag fridge freeser,

Hi wonder if you can help, I have a Maytag Zigzag fridge freeser, although it is functioning properly I have water ponding at the bottom of the fridge and wonder what the problem is. I would realy apreciate your reply. Steve
Category: Appliance
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
Most times this is a plugged defrost drain system. The defrost heater in the freezer section melts the frost and changes it to water, this water is suppose to flow down a drain system. If this drain system is restricted or plugged the water will leak inside the refrigerator. The drain system starts in the freezer section with a tray built under the evaporator coil. The water is funneled through a small hose into a cup in the top middle of the fresh food section ( not on all models, but this is the most common way ), from there, the water is directed out the back wall to a drain hose that runs down the back of the refrigerator into a condensing tray. The heat created under the fridge makes the water evaporate and disappear. Some of the cups ( in the top back of the fresh food section ) can be removed for cleaning. A turkey baster can be used to help clean out the drain system. Fill the baster with hot water and "blast" it into the drain hose to help flush it out. A piece of wire or pipe cleaner can also be pushed into the drain hoses to help clean them out. To be more specific I would need the model number.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many thanks for your answer which I will accept but I would like to give you the model number of the fridge freezer to help identify, the number is XXXXX
Expert:  built1950 replied 7 years ago.
Did you take any action on the info in the previous post?