MRANSWER
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS

The range is mAYTAG pERFORMA MODEL PGR4410CDW. The oven temperature

The range is mAYTAG pERFORMA MODEL PGR4410CDW.
The oven temperature control is unreliable. The ignitor heating works well but it does not trigger the gas valve and I have to slam the door of the broiler to get the gas to flow. If the problem is the gas valve where do I get one and how do I replace it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
The ignitor is most likely the culprit. It CAN glow brightly but still not draw enough current to make valve open. Valves hardly ever fail. Replace the ignitor. It is cheaper than the valve and that is what I would do first. IF still same issue then replace valve, but I doubt it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Before I buy a new ignitor I would like to know what the resistance value is for a properly operating ignitor.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
There is no value. Ignitor is cheap.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ignitor isn'nt cheap. it cost $70.65 including 6.95 shipping and #8.10 sales tax. That is 15% nof the original cost of the stove. Is there no specification values for the ignitor?
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
I have no idea why so much- I buy them all day long for about $20. Look on ebay as someone is screwing you on that. Current that flows thru ignitor is what is critical- not the ohms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The current that flows through the ignitor is determined by its resistance, that is why I asked for the value.
The formula is: Current = voltage/resistance
Since the voltage is fixed in this case at 120 volts, the lower the resistance the more current will flow resulting in more heat.
I will press the "accept" button to pay you for your time on your next reply.
Thank you for the tip, I will look on ebay.
Expert:  MRANSWER replied 4 years ago.
The formula is correct, but resistance changes with temperature, so measuring it means nothing. You really need an ammeter to measure the current if you wish as that is the value needed, butyours is apparently borderline so it may measure 'good' but still be shy that tiny bit. I have an engineering degree and understand what you say, but in the real world of appliance repair this issue most certainly is figured out by simply putting in a new ignitor- it will either work or not and it would need to be replaced at some point in the future, so no money is wasted.
MRANSWER, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 30 YRS EXP. FACTORY TRAINED AND AUTHORIZED ON ALL MAJOR BRANDS