Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.

How to fix my whirlpool dryer

Customer Question

How to fix my whirlpool dryer
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
HiCustomer My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am happy to help you with this!
Please describe the nature of the problem and I will help you with the repair. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Eric,
I have a Whirlpool gas dryer that seems fine electrically but does not heat up. It's about three years old. After looking online and at schematics it seems like the fuse or the ignitor would be the problem. I have purchased them and began the job by taking out all of the screws and removing the control panel and the screws on the back of the unit. The back panel seems to be spot welded onto the frame and does not seem to be able to be removed from the back. In order to remove it I will damge the thin metal on the back panel. I am a pretty handy guy and anytime I have had to repair an appliance the back usually comes right off when the screws are removed. Does this have to be repaired from the bottom? That's where the majority of the ignitor parts are.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
****STOP*** Surprised

Please replace all screws from the rear. there is NO access from the rear of this machine. Access is through the front/lower panel. Use a putty knife to push the spring clips #46 in the diagram located about 3-4 inches from each corner of the area between the front panel and lower panel, #61. Pull out from the top and lift the lower panel off.Now you have all the access you need. This is a "DOTT" dryer and ALL access for any repair is from the bottom, the front and the top. These are my favorite kind of dryer.
Eric, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Factory/company training at MAJOR retailer, now owns and operates an appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,
Let me check it out and I'll be back. I may have a few other things l may have to ask you.
dennis
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem! I will be here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Eric,
sorry it took so long
I have replaced the ignitor and no luck. I bought a fuse but cannot locate itin the vacinity of the ignitor assembly. I don't see it on any schematics either. Where is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
eric
i was not sure if you got my most recent reply so i am sending it again. I relapced ther ignitor and it still has no heat. I purchased a fuse on the advice of the parts guy but cannot find it anywhere in the ignitor assebly vacinity. Where is it? If this dies not fix it what is your best guess on where ot go next? Sensor or solenoid?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
graphic

Please remove the blower duct, #45 to gain access to part # XXXXX is that the one you bought? A white small device with two wires on it. That is the thermal fuse.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,
IThe fuse was the problem. Thank you
dennis
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem! Glad to help out!
Have a great day and thank you!